Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Inspiration, Projects and a bit of a photo montage

Wednesday turned into Thursday - Ground Hog day - just a change of child.  This time it was Dylan's turn to be sick.  Friday also.  Saturday was not only the start of the holidays, but the start of my cunning plan.  Put the kids into the same bedroom and turn Nadia's room into a sewing/computer room.  Wow - wonder why we never thought of this before.  So we had to buy bunks... and the kids are really keen (at this stage) to be sharing a room.  I realise I will only get so much mileage out of this - but plan to enjoy it while it lasts.
 This is what happens when you get your husband to buy you new gum boots...

 Time for a new look - yes, that is PERMED hair... is it coming back into fashion - don't care, just love that curl.
 New book out from the library (Fresh quilting by Malka Dubrawsky) - and loving these pieced hexagons... I have always sort of hated the Grandmothers Garden flower thing with the hexagons... but this one has grown on me... now, am I keen enough to work out how to piece it... not sure.
 Different book - but same idea... this one would be a huge challenge - the 9 patches have 1" finished squares... then pieced around a hexagon with inset triangles in the gaps... what, do people not have lives??  But isn't it cool...

 And finally, the project I have chosen to initiate my new room with... thanks to "Ivory Spring's" post about applique, with a gorgeous example of a traditional pattern done in slightly more contemporary fabrics inspired me to pull this American Patchwork & Quilting magazine project that has been tagged... I acutally really liked the fabrics used in the project, but there's no reason I couldn't like something more...
 Enter my new fabrics from designer Riley Blake (plus a few extras I threw in for good luck)...

And I have the beginnings of block number one.

  
The background blocks are 25" - huge - and I am going to do fusible with machine blanket stitch instead of needleturn like the instructions.  At this stage not sure how many I'll do - we'll see how the first one turns out...

I am also falling in love with the quilting style of "Oh Fransson.com"  Especially her pieced backs - definitely something to think about.

That's my day so far... how is yours going?

No comments: