Monday, November 7, 2011

Progress on this and that... plus what happened to all those little bits??

I enjoy reading my own writing too much to have a wordless post... so I will bore you with all the little details of my minor accomplishments over the past few days.  I'm also linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for her Wednesday WIP thingee.  My entire blog is 99% work in progress - it would be brief if it was only finished projects (snort, snort).

Firstly, with the guild's Xmas lunch pending, the need to make a handmade gift for the santa exchange had been hovering over my head.  Over the weekend I played with a little grab bag of leftover fabrics from "my local" (the lovely ladies at The Country Yard) containing fabrics covered with quilting related words. 


Now I can't reveal all at this stage, however... a small, sneak peak.


I have also started piecing the sashing strips on a charm square quilt.  I'm starting to get the hang of these solid fabrics... and they are definately growing on me.

OK these are really just pieced straight, but don't they look
so much more interesting on an angle?
My Sew Happy Me stitch along is progressing nicely... still behind but who's counting??



And just incase you were wondering about the freezer paper templates I gave you a little tutorial on cutting a few posts ago... well they've blossomed into a wee block.

Freezer paper ironed onto the reverse of the chosen fabrics waiting
for the seam allowances to be glued down.
Little bird still needs a black bit on his eye, and whole thing
needs to be invisible machine stitched down.
After a bit of a vague email, those same lovely ladies from The Country Yard sent me a package containing my favourite thread for everything "Seralene" by Mettler in a mid grey.  I think it is meant to be used as a bobbin fill - but I use it for just about everything.  And also a little selection of Japanese Taupe fat quarters to add to my rapidly diminishing pile of scraps which will ultimately end up pieces in Gail Pan's Bluebirds and Berries BOM quilt.  Don't you love it when they wrap them up to look like presents?

26 comments:

Charlotte Scott said...

What weight is Seralene? And is it cotton or poly? Hmm, better get on to my handmade gift too.

Suz J said...

In case you're also wondering, it's 100% poly and finer than 50wt (perhaps 60wt)? Unfortunately it isn't on the wrapper.

Heather D. said...

Lots of good things on the go!! Love the little Christmas needlework project.

Susan said...

The flower and bird combo is my favourite!

Leeanne said...

Cute projects, I'm glad you were happy with your wee parcel.

Lynette said...

Love, love the bird block :D

Quilt Genius said...

I love the border you're making with the origins fabric. I just love that fabric!

Mary
http://www.quiltgenius.com

JuliePickles said...

I don't know what you're making up there but it looks like fun! I love that fabric that has the quilting words all over it. I have a pincushion made with it! I'm going to have to check out your freezer paper tutorial, I never have quite understood how to use freezer paper for applique. Of course I tend to run in the other direction when someone mentions applique anyway, lol!

Marci Girl said...

I love your charm squares quilt, so beautiful! What fabric line is it, it is GREAT!

Allison said...

I really like the colors of your sashing strips - & yes, they look great on an angle :)

Maggie said...

Love your embroidery; it is so sweet!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Lots of fun projects! I especially love your embroidery project :)

Leila said...

I love all those word fabrics. Fun projects.

Annabella said...

Good luck with all your lovely projects!

Leanne said...

You have fun projects, I love that bird!

Cille said...

Your bird applique is stunning - love it :)

Jennifer said...

oooo that bird appliquée is so cute!

Katy Cameron said...

Love the look of the fabrics in the secret project

Sel said...

I love the bird. The little dots are the cutest 'feathers' I ever saw!

Nice WIP Wed!

Unknown said...

That bird is adorable! Thanks for sharing what you have going on.

Marsha Cooper said...

You have a lot of great projects going on. I like the birds too.

Christie describeHappy said...

Your tree stitching is fantastic and your flower and bird too!! Happy sewing!

Rachel said...

I've seen the quilting word fabric. Never sure what I should do with it. Can't wait to see yours.

Lee said...

Love that text fabric you're using! And the applique blocks look super cute. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

Al said...

Birds! And Stitching! And text fabric! <3

Foolish Feathers said...

Oh I love the little bird cut out and can't wait to see how it will all looked finished. Looking very nice, keep up the good work!