Saturday, February 4, 2012

I might have lost my marbles...

but I have got some pompoms!!

I had a great idea.  Throws quite often have fancy edging to them... tassels, pompoms etc - so why not add a pompom edge to my Courthouse Stars Buggy Barn throw quilt instead of a binding, using the turney through method of finishing, and instead of doing batting and a backing - use an upholstery weight fabric with a fluffy finish, and buttons sewn on at block intersections instead of quilting.  Simple!

Of course, the road to Rome is never straight (or however it goes) - and after a few sourcing issues, and some lovely assistance from the great gals at The Country Yard, and a whirlwind of a trip to Arthurs in Whangarei (the best surplus shop in all the land), I finally had all the requirements needed to finish my quilt.

Progress to date:
Can't wait to snuggle up underneath it... middle of summertime now, but winter is just around the corner.  In the meantime, it will be the cat scratch deterrant for the leather sofa.

Finished dimensions - about 1.6m x 1.6m

The backing fabric is very plush, not quite fur, almost chenilley - hard to describe but very luxurious feeling.  It is very heavy - like lugging around a dead body.  After a few hours of sewing, my arms are now blissfully numb.  Just a well I can touch type and just need to wiggle a few fingers... all I am capable of ;0)

I still have the buttons to sew on, but I want to let it relax into shape first... in the hope that the buttons won't create unsightly puckers/ripples/folds (or any combination) on the back.

4 comments:

Emma said...

What a creative idea! That looks distinguished and super comfy :-)

Leeanne said...

Wow!! Looks great and it hasn't slipped off the sofa like you thought it might.I hope you do a post when you have done the buttons.

Charlotte Scott said...

Clever idea, hope it's not so heavy it cuts off the circulation in your legs when you're watching tv!

Raewyn said...

Wow that was super speedy sewing - it looks great!!!!!!! You've got a real original there!!