Sunday, February 24, 2013

Where did all that time go?

It seems like only yesterday that I did my last post... but according to the date on it, it was in fact AGES ago.  So what have I been up to?

Well, apart from the grumpy and then sick kids... I've been tired and rather unenthusiastic in the crafting department.  I know... it happens to the best of us.  Last weekend I finally sucked it up and finished putting together the backing for the Hometown Wagon Wheel quilt.  I very much likey likey:


I bought some bamboo batting for the first time, and decided that this would be the great hand quilting experiment...relatively simple large stitches outlining the shapes.


First block down... only eight more to go.  I ended up with some shifting, which is most probably due to my interesting and probably quite incorrect technique.  This shows up quite well on the back:


Also on the sewing radar is The Jelly Roll Sampler.  The plan includes some basket blocks which have a background fabric.  With the setting I have chosen, I needed to decide whether the block background was going to be the same as the setting background... yada yada, more decisions indecision.  I bought a really pretty duckegg solid, but it just wasn't quite doing it for me.  If in doubt, go and discuss it with your best friend - Monika saved the day and after lots of discussing all sorts of topics, suggested a scrappy low volume background.  Perfect, I had already started a bundle for February new project number two and three.




My low volume (which is just modern talk for scrappy) selection is eclectic and at times not all that low volume, but now that I've taken a photo and done the squinty eye test, I am quite happy with it.  Maybe not exactly what Monika would have chosen - but it is very much ME!  The duckegg solid has made it's way into the pile too...

While I've been cutting these bits, I've multitasked and cut out the starting stages of those abovementioned new projects.  I'm loving this new project thing... next year will probably be the year of the unfinished.  You will also have noticed by now that I tend to do several projects that use a similar theme, whether it be fabric or design.  I've put together a few quilts lately with a large nine patch layout, I'm concentrating on several sampler style quilts, I've used the black and white text fabric in several projects, as well as the light grey homespun.  Now is the time for the rest of the Denyse Schmidt fabric (left over from the dresden fan wedges) plus a few more which caught my eye, in combination with the rest of the low volume bundle.  OK, I've put multitasking onto a whole new level - also a whole new level of mess.

New February Project Number Two - Modern Crosses quilt from the Modern Log Cabin book.  Love this block, love this quilt, love this fabric...


New February Project Number Three - Plus and Cross quilt.  This will be a lot more chaotic scrappy as each corner is a different fabric.  Results in interesting secondary patterns in the final layout. 


Ran out of steam getting this block finished, but you get the idea...

I've also finished piecing my second Tokyo Subway block for February


And I've finished the LAST SWOON BLOCK!  I think this deserves it's own post... so I'll come back to it later in the week.

Well, I suppose I have had quite a busy couple of weeks haven't I?

And NO, I didn't make any further progress on the borders for Bluebirds and Berries BOM (although I did buy some more fusible web on Tuesday).  Remember for next month - chose a goal that is achievable!

5 comments:

Leeanne said...

Yikes!!!! That is a heap of projects that have had your attention! Super stuff. I hope the kidlets are up & running again........the leg parts of them, not the noses!

Charlotte Scott said...

Oh didn't realise you had the sickies at your house :( Hope they're all better and double hope you don't get it. You've managed to cram in heaps! I especially like the cross block with that bright fabric - noice!

Susan said...

Your hand quilting looks fine from here! How did you baste- pin, spray or tacking? That may have effected the backing shifting. I want to do some low volume work too!

Raewyn said...

Woohoo love your pieced backing - very classy!!! And great to see the hand quilting, too. You have plenty on the go... you knew I would love the low volume (!) background - nice block! Looking forward to seeing more Swoon!!!

Leeann said...

Looking forward to seeing your Swoon together. You seem to have done heaps even with the kids being sick. I have to make new net curtains, so boring. I have been putting it off way too long (I think a bought the fabric 2 Years ago!!)