Monday, October 27, 2014

Small and Intimate



My local friendly quilt shop, The Country Yard, hosts an exhibition each year, inviting customers to display quilts that have been made from items purchased from them.  Kerryn's house is the venue, a lovely old farm house, which showcases the quilted items beautifully.  It's not a large and blowsy exhibition with millions of quilts of all different genre - it's small and intimate... casual and friendly, a time to catch up with friends over a cuppa and a nibble...


I've exhibited quilts for the last three years... and desperately wanted to get my Berries and Bluebirds quilt finished in time to exhibit this year.  Nothing like a little bit of deadline pressure!  Yay... I did it!  My green thread arrived last Thursday, and I quilted the green border Friday afternoon.  Then the outer printed border was quilted over Saturday and Sunday in a feather design in the same thread.  Monday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons were spent binding, and Friday afternoon cutting threads.  All ready to be displayed on Saturday.



It was such a delight (and totally blew me away) to have my quilt chosen as the Viewers Choice this year! You can find more photos on The Country Yard's facebook page here.

I also exhibited the Japanese Ladies quilt which I sold to raise money for Dylan's ski trip for school.

 


It was such a fun day.  Thanks to the lovely ladies at The Country Yard for making it such a successful event.  Now... what can I finish for next year???

12 comments:

Charlotte Scott said...

Awesome! Now you can have it on your bed all pretty and finished.

Susan said...

Congratulations! What an amazing honour to receive the Viewer's Choice! And so well deserved too! It looks beautiful on the bed. I hope you made a handsome amount for your Japanese Ladies quilt- it is such a pretty one that I don't know how you could sell it!?

Debbie said...

Wow! It is good to have a deadline. Your quilt looks wonderful. What a fantastic idea to host a small exhibit.

Raewyn said...

It was a deserving win Suzanne! Congratulations!!

Cille said...

Many congratulations - it is so well deserved :)

Michelle said...

Wow, that looks like so much fun! I do love your quilt berries and blue birds, I can see why it was viewers choice! Well done it is gorgeous.
Michelle

Julie said...

Hi Suzanne, just popping over for a visit from Raewyns blog & wanted to offer my congratulations - looks like a well deserved win, your quilt is just beautiful. Looks like a lovely day had by all. Julie :-)

Michelle Ridgway said...

Congratulations on your much deserved win Suzanne. Your quilt is lovely. The exhibition looked wonderful xx

Marlene said...

Congratulations Suzanne. Your quilt look gorgeous and talk about putting yourself under pressure!!

Leeanne said...

You did good! Awesome quilting, loved the doodling, glad you gave it a try.

margaret said...

2 beauties and congratulations on the win your quilt would have had my vote too outstanding and the one you sold is a beauty too, So glad Raewyn gave us the link to your blog another one for me to follow

Lynette said...

I love both of your quilts so much! And what a neat little exhibit - those kinds always charm me with their intimacy and unique places.