Monday, May 30, 2016

Behind the Scenes

Another week of chipping away at things.  Unfortunately an hours progress on FM quilting does not lead to any dramatic photos!  Quilting the background area of a quilt with large "negative space" is rather daunting.  I started in the middle and have somewhat worked my way outwards... going around the stars.  I've even gotten to the outside edge of some areas.  So it was a real good feeling to spread my quilt out and inspect exactly how much was left of what can feel like an endless project.  Instead of doing actual sewing, I spent my sewing day cutting the pieces for my next VQR sampler block.  I am feeling really positive about things.

So in lieu of exciting progress photos... we have a new quilt on the bed!


This is an extremely large quilt... check out that overhang on a queen size mattress.


The fabrics are cheap and cheery Spotlight fat quarters... the colours loosely chosen from several large prints.  So greens, aquas, pinks, oranges just all flow together.  This quilt pattern was in a book about Three Colour Quilts (upsized and log cabins blocks adjusted to be irregular) - the stars one colour, the log cabins another, plus the background the third colour.  I approached it from a slightly different perspective, where the colour areas covered "all" colours, not just one colour.



What do I love most about this quilt?  Probably the soft, washed look of it - almost like a beach house style.  Comfortable, vintage... love it.

2 comments:

Leeanne said...

You are giving your quilting muscles a workout......good now the weather is cooler.

Lynette said...

Hey! Love it. :D You're right - it's a perfect beach house look.