Wednesday, August 3, 2016

What, August already?

So the school holidays came and went... as did the first week back at work/school.  I celebrated another birthday... and spent a delicious morning stitching at my favourite patchwork shop, and doing a touch of fabric shopping.

So, something new on the drawing board.  I've been feeling like I need some repetitive sewing, something going on in the background of all the sampler blocks I've got cluttering my work space.

Starburst Cross Quilt Pattern by Sew Crafty Jess.

This particular pattern has been sitting around for a while, and I even had the idea of using a particular fat quarter bundle of Adornit fabric that had also been sitting around for a while.  Well at least since 2014 when it was on my WIP list as fabric without a project.  I think that using fabrics from one range will lend itself to this quilt pattern quite well.


I really like the depth of the pattern in the fabrics... much more than just a simple design.


So, I've started.  To make the quilt square, I have added another 5 fabrics from my stash to the original 20 fat quarters, and bought a lovely soft grey Bella Solid as the background.  I also plan to add a wide plain border to bring the quilt size up to about 72" square. 

I also wanted to experiment with alternative construction methods to the stitch and flip corner triangle method and have trialed using paper templates for the odd shaped pieces.

Block One done and dusted.



My initial concerns about this block included the matching of the star points and the corner units.  Damn those pesky diagonal seam convergences... but so far so good - they are behaving themselves.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Those convergence seams look great from here! It's all in the pressing, I expect!

Raewyn said...

Very cool block and lovely range of fabrics to make it with. Hope the rest of the converging seams behave themselves!!

Charlotte Scott said...

I'm sure I haven't seen those fabrics before! Looks great and so do your points. Much better than mine would I suspect.