Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Things to Think About

Pondering the next quilting project, I pulled out all the quilt tops that were waiting patiently for their turn.

I thought I'd do a bit of a vote, and see which quilt was the most popular to get to the finished pile first.  So check out the following, and feel free to leave a comment or send me an email to vote for your favourite:

Giant Star:


This one even has a gorgeous bundle all put aside for a backing.


There's a square in there:

Oh Eiko... I love you.


And this one has backing and binding!  This is the joy of finding fabric on special and just buying it.  It also shows that you never know what you're going to get until it arrives.  This fish fabric was described as a "feature fabric" - so I imagined the fish would be large.  I didn't expect them to appear in rows and be in this scale (ha! pun alert!)  But as the backing, I'm not too worried either way.


Rainbow Modern Sampler: OK, no backing or binding on this one yet, but with that rainbow gradient going on, I don't think it would be hard to find "something" amongst the stash.


Avalon Quilt by Elizabeth Hartman (will need to go and investigate what this one was originally called): now this one is not quite a top yet - but the finished blocks just need to be sewn together.




Right, time for some fabric.  My delicious little fat quarter purchases from The Country Yard.  I may or may not be a sucker for florals... This large floral is from Tilda - Flowercloud dark slate.


And even a smidge of sewing.  What I love about this star block is the lack of commitment required. I can make progress without even really trying. Cutting two fat quarters simultaneously sets me up to make two blocks.  Then with a little bit of sewing, I have the block units pieced.


Then with a little bit more time... or another day... those little units get pieced into a pretty easily put together nine patch.  So as one gets finished...



Another gets to the pieced units stage...


And this little skerrit of space provides the visual "this is how it's starting to look"


Don't forget to vote!

7 comments:

Susan said...

The Modern Sampler definitely needs finishing! There has been a QAL on IG for another round of this popular pattern! It's a classic!

Leeanne said...

Mmmm sew many choices! You have a couple there that have a real summery look to them and that Sampler is calling out to be finished.............The only answer for it, call in to work say you have some 'Must do quilting'......there you go, problem solved! :-)

Raewyn said...

You are spoilt for choice Suzanne! (Isn't that better than saying, gosh that's a pile of flimsies you have there!) I say go for the 'Square in there' as it will be a perfect summer quilt. Love those stars!!

Leeann said...

The square in a square, I'd start with that one!

Monika said...

I'm with Raewyn, 'there's a square in there' looks light & summery, would be perfect for this time of the year :) I actually had completely forgotten you had pieced that one ;)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Your 'squareinthere' looks like it's all set to go with some quilting ... and the 'giant star' would look wonderful with some fmq... look forward to seeing just what you decide!

Charlotte Scott said...

I vote for the square in there. The sampler would stump me trying to decide how to quilt it, so maybe that should go up somewhere so you can ponder that question while you quilt something else. Avalon is lovely too, but you have to finish it first!